2017 Hardeman County Project Show FCS Grand & Reserve Champions
Hardeman County was created in 1858 from Fannin County, recreated in 1876 and organized in 1884. Hardeman County is named for pioneer Texas brothers, Bailey and T. J. Hardeman. Hardeman County is located between the Pease River on the south and Red River on the north, adjoining Oklahoma. There are two towns included in the county which are Quanah and Chillicothe, as well as a ghost town called Medicine Mounds. There is many historic events that took place within the county that contribute to today’s culture and special events. Wheat and cotton are the main crops, with beef cattle and stockers adding to the economy. Some sheep, goats, swine, and horses are also raised. Businesses include agri-business and some manufacturing. The county population in 2015 was at 4,130. Copper Breaks State Park, which is operated by the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department, is located in far southern Hardeman County near the Pease River just off State Highway 6, about 12 miles (19 km) south of Quanah. The park features a portion of the state Texas longhorn herd.For more information about Hardeman or any other Texas county, you can access the following: http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd. The AgriLife Extension office works with county officials to provide practical, how-to-education based on university research. For more information about educational programs offered through the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Extension contact web site: http://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 697 square miles (1,805.2 km2), of which 695 square miles (1,800.0 km2) is land and 2 square miles (5.2 km2) (0.23%) is water.